2 Chronicles 29:11

My sons, do not be negligent now; for the Lord has chosen you to stand before Him and serve Him, to minister before Him and to burn incense.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Cleaning up after pigs

What's moved into the temple? The mystery of the gospel is Christ in us and that we are now the temple of the one true God. So, what's moved into my temple? In the Jewish temple, Antiochus had seized and trashed it. Finally a revolt arose! The Syrians were pushed out and the temple was cleansed because unholy and abominable things had been brought into the Holy of Holies: Pigs.
What's moved into my temple?
Pigs?
Yeah, I think so.
Lord, please clean out whatever isn't You and light the lampstand in my heart.
Which is why I love Hanukkah. Hanukkah was a revolt against Pigs and a miracle of restoration.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Laurie, sorry for the delay in posting, I was without internet for a bit. I think that I mostly get frustrated when people push their ideas on me (which means I have to be careful not to do the same), although I get frustrated too with the institutions which seem to put boxes around people. In my own life, I have found that more often than not I have run from things rather than running TO something. There was a box around the proper way to follow Christ and so I would run away from the "bad things" like not reading my Bible, or swearing, or whatever else was "bad" at the time. It wasn't until last year when I realized that my faith was not a result of me being passionately in love with Jesus, but rather based on a fear of doing all of the wrong things. Where did those assumptions come from? A) my own personality and tendancy towards fear and B) the church as an institution pressing the rules. It's a complicated mess, this whole Christian thing. I have a lot of unrest regarding the way things are in the world...it would be nice to find an outlet.