2 Chronicles 29:11

My sons, do not be negligent now; for the Lord has chosen you to stand before Him and serve Him, to minister before Him and to burn incense.

Friday, March 2, 2012

freedom! (well, at least part of the definition)

Freedom is creating something and not being crippled by the potential failure. 
It's not that painting a crazy and colorful design on a lamp shade requires great risk, but it could end up looking awful (and needing replaced). 
In real freedom, I'm free to try it anyway.
I think there are things inside of all of us that we have imagined or envisioned that we keep locked up because of fear. 
Maybe it will look stupid or the colors you pick will blend terribly - it doesn't matter.  Maybe the poem won't inspire anyone or the shelves will be crooked - it doesn't matter.
God has been bringing new freedom as He scrapes away the fear of failure and keeps whispering, "Try it." 
I could argue that when we are creating something, we are caught up in a moment of being the best image-bearer we can be.
In the past week we have made a colorful toilet paper holder, painted a few walls with a splash of color, glued magazine mosaics and, yes, painted a lamp shade in vibrant colors. 

It's been a very free week. 


3 comments:

Katie said...

Pictures of the creating please!:)

TLETJ said...

K - I should take some photos and post them, shouldn't I? I can get pretty technology-lazy.

Anonymous said...

How familiar I am with the "try it and see what happens" technique. Most of my decorated cakes start that way, which is why my husband's birthday cake will be 6 thin layers, each a different color, lemon flavored with marshmallow frosting. Inspired by a picture he saw in a magazine, we will create it and serve it on Saturday, along with a very large #3 shaped cake, half chocolate, half strawberry, for grandson Bradley. Cake anyone???

Creatively, with love,
Aunt Marjie