2 Chronicles 29:11

My sons, do not be negligent now; for the Lord has chosen you to stand before Him and serve Him, to minister before Him and to burn incense.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Foreshadows

Everyone else was laughing. All my friends were walking out of the theater in a jovial mood. I however, was still in my seat and I was weeping. A few of my friends turned back to see if I was ok; obviously confused by my tears. Finally I was able to get up and exit, but a steady stream of tears kept falling as we drove back to our dorm. It was 1993 and I was a freshman in college. I was in that completely miserable season of life in which we walk the fence and have two conflicting lives. I was dating a young man I had met at college and had consequently severed most of my ties with Trevor. Then came the movie, "Indian Summer". It's a comedy about several adult friends who return to the camp of their youth for a reunion and a stroll or two down memory lane. During their week at Camp Tamakwa, the camp director (Uncle Lou) announces that he'll be stepping down and is looking for someone to replace him as director. Several of the characters are heart-broken at the prospect of Camp Tamakwa ceasing to operate. A few of them even consider rearranging their lives in order to take Uncle Lou's position, but as the movie is concluding they, one by one, retract their offers to stay. As they're loading up to head home they notice that Jack and Bethie aren't with them. The camera shifts to Jack and Bethie crouching in the autumn woods to observe a nearby moose (a skill and appreciation taught by Uncle Lou). Uncle Lou approaches them and they tell him that they want to direct Camp Tamakwa. My tears began to flow. The Lord reached into my heart and reminded me of Trevor. He reminded me that I belonged with Trevor. He reminded me that the desires of my heart (the outdoors, camping, teens, etc.) unified with the desires of Trevor's heart and that the path I was on was not what He had for me. I didn't see Jack and Bethie crouching in the woods; I saw Trevor and Laurie. And now, after a beautifully woven 15 years, you may see Trevor and Laurie crouching in the woods of Bair Lake Bible Camp as Trevor has accepted their offer to be their director.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The steps of the righteous are ordered by the Lord. Obedience...it's all about obedience...then He will pour out a window of blessings that not even you can imagine nor contain. It doesn't get any better. I would rather live in that world knowing I am in His will...than trying to be a people pleaser. Standing on principles is like standing on a rock in the middle of the ocean. Getting beaten by the elements is rough and rocky at times...but, knowing you are taking that stand because it is the right thing to do...is a beautiful thing...God blesses the obedient and the one that stands on His principles!!!
Love ya dearly, Aunt Tammy