2 Chronicles 29:11

My sons, do not be negligent now; for the Lord has chosen you to stand before Him and serve Him, to minister before Him and to burn incense.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hold it Loosely

Last night Trevor was reading 'The Fellowship of the Ring' aloud as the kids drew with crayons, paper and colored pencils spread out on the carpet. As the kids hear words they don't understand, they frequently stop Trev from reading and ask the word's meaning. At one point in the story Jackson stopped him to ask, "Daddy, what does content mean?". Sometimes I answer and sometimes Trevor does. This time as we were making eye contact trying to decide who should answer, we heard, "It means to be satisfied" - Ellie had stepped up to the plate.


What does it mean to be content? God's asking the tough questions: Will I be content wherever we live? With all the changes happening in our life I am struggling with the very thing we tell the kids all the time: hold it loosely. Though we have said from day one that this is God's home, as the reality of letting it go draws close, I see in me a temptation to strengthen my grip. So today I am praying, please Lord help me hold it loosely. Help me remember that it is Yours and that the very concept of possession is just my imagination because it's ALL Yours.


"when nothing satisfies you, hold My hand"
-Jennifer Knap

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you go to Merriam-Webster online and type in "worry" the thesaurus will tell you to see "anxiety". Under "anxiety" it lists as antonyms: calm, calmness, content, contentment...
The Lord placed Luke 12:22-34 in front of me recently because I needed it (and do every day) greatly. It is very easy to read that passage and miss the whole message. Jesus exhorts us to not worry and to have faith in the Father's provisions. And often that is where we stop. If I have a little more faith everything is going to be o.k. We miss verse 31, "But seek His kingdom and all these things will be given to you as well."
I am so excited for your family, in this transition, as I know that you are doing exactly what Jesus directed - you are seeking His kingdom. And I pray that the Father would give us all the vision, strenghth and faith to loosen our grip as we seek Him.

Anonymous said...

Amen! Starting at zero each month kind of has a way of driving that verse home, eh? But you're right, I must seek. "If you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure..." God bless.